Noncontact Food Packaging

Paul asks;

Are there any compliance regulations or audits needed for making non-contact boxes (outer boxes) for food companies.

We have customers that say no regulations are needed for outer boxes that don’t touch the food. Now we have a new customer that says we need to be AIB certified to make noncontact boxes? Do you know the rules for food packaging boxes? Thank you for your help.

The FDA in 21CFR regulates paper and paperboard packaging of foods as indirect food additives. If this product is not fatty, aqueous, meat or poultry, but is dry food then there are no regulations. However, you should have written communications from the linerboard suppliers (through the sheet suppliers) that their products meet the indirect food additive regulations of the FDA. I do not currently know of the AIB’s certification in this issue.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: